Houses of the Oireachtas

All parliamentary debates are now being published on our new website. The publication of debates on this website will cease in December 2018.

Go to oireachtas.ie

Written Answers - Broadcasting Services

Thursday, 19 April 2012

Dáil Éireann Debate
Vol. 762 No. 1

First Page Previous Page Page of 170 Next Page Last Page

 134.  Deputy Michael Healy-Rae Information on Michael Healy-Rae Zoom on Michael Healy-Rae  asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Information on Pat Rabbitte Zoom on Pat Rabbitte  if he will investigate a matter regarding Saorsat (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. [19682/12]

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Pat Rabbitte): Information on Pat Rabbitte Zoom on Pat Rabbitte Issues relating to television coverage in specific areas of the country are an operational matter for RTÉ. The Broadcasting Act 2009 provides for RTÉ to rollout a digital TV network to the same extent as the analogue TV network. RTÉ has informed my Department that the current analogue TV network covers 98% of the population and that its new digital TV network called Saorview will also cover 98% of the population. In addition, RTÉ is launching a new ‘free-to-air’ satellite service, SAORSAT to cover the remaining 2% of the population. RTÉ is not [194]obliged to provide a satellite service and is doing so on its own initiative. It is my understanding from RTÉ Networks Limited that SAORSAT is now available, which means that Ireland has a national TV network covering 100% of the population, for the first time. Further information on SAORSAT is available on www.saorview.ie and also www.rtenl.ie.


Last Updated: 04/04/2015 08:09:41 First Page Previous Page Page of 170 Next Page Last Page