Houses of the Oireachtas

All parliamentary debates are now being published on our new website. The publication of debates on this website will cease in December 2018.

Go to oireachtas.ie

Written Answers. - Capitation Grants.

Tuesday, 3 December 2002

Dáil Éireann Debate
Vol. 558 No. 4

First Page Previous Page Page of 294 Next Page Last Page

 255. Ms Enright Information on Olwyn Enright Zoom on Olwyn Enright  asked the Minister for Education and Science Information on Noel Dempsey Zoom on Noel Dempsey  if the capitation grant for national schools will be paid before Christmas; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [24499/02]

 257. Ms Enright Information on Olwyn Enright Zoom on Olwyn Enright  asked the Minister for Education and Science Information on Noel Dempsey Zoom on Noel Dempsey  if he intends to increase the capitation grant for national schools, to bring spending on national schools more closer to the OECD average; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [24501/02]

Minister for Education and Science (Mr. N. Dempsey): Information on Noel Dempsey Zoom on Noel Dempsey I propose to take questions 255 and 257 together.

It is intended to pay the first moiety of the capitation grant to national schools in January 2003. The grant will be paid directly into schools' bank accounts by way of electronic funds transfer. The grant has traditionally been paid in two instalments, 70% in January and the remaining 30% in June each year.

The main source of funding of the running costs of primary schools is the capitation grant. The standard capitation grant at primary level, which stood at £45 or €57.14 in 1997, was increased to €105 per pupil in the 2001-02 school year. The grant is being increased to €111.58 in respect of the 2002-03 school year. This represents an increase in the rate of grant of more than 95% in the period.

I am satisfied the increases in the capitation grant referred to constitute a meaningful response to the need for increased funding for schools.

 256. Ms Enright Information on Olwyn Enright Zoom on Olwyn Enright  asked the Minister for Education and Science Information on Noel Dempsey Zoom on Noel Dempsey  the amount of curriculum grant which will be paid to schools in 2002; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [24500/02]

Minister for Education and Science (Mr. N. Dempsey): Information on Noel Dempsey Zoom on Noel Dempsey The question of the payment of a curriculum grant is currently under consideration by [1076] officials of my Department. If such a grant is to be paid in 2002 this will be effected by way of electronic funds transfer directly to schools' bank accounts and followed by a circular to all schools detailing the scope of any such grant, purposes for which it can be used.

Should it be decided to pay such a curriculum grant a copy of the circular will be forwarded to the Deputy as soon as it is available.

Question No. 257 answered with Question No. 255.


Last Updated: 01/09/2015 09:42:47 First Page Previous Page Page of 294 Next Page Last Page